Saturday 28 November 2009

Zermatt - 21st & 22nd November

Now then, back to Zermatt on the train. Late leaving work on the Friday to get my named train, and arrived in resort at 10.30pm instead of 8.15pm. At least the conductors on the train didn't charge me for not using the correct train. Arrived at the Best Western hotel near the Bahnhof and was told my room was in the neighboring house, I was dubious and must have appeared so because the receptionist smiled and said "don't worry Sir, your room is very nice". Too right it was, top floor and massive. Not bad considering I had only paid 70 € a night for a hotel with swimming pool and spa and breakfast included in the price.



Not too shabby!!











So after a hard day at work and a long journey down from which the only really pleasurable bit was a long chat with a very attractive Swiss girl on the train from Bern to Visp, a couple of beers in front of the TV was the order of play. Relax and get ready to put some distance in.

Day 8 of 60. Woke up to great news, the sun was shining and they had opened the runs down to Furgg adding to the area and lifts that were already open. What a great day, up top by 9.20am and decided to forefit lunch, knowing they close the runs around 3.30pm. A really awesome day of solitary riding, nothing to distract me apart from some tunes on the iPod and stunning scenary. Its hard not to smile whilst riding here under the towering Matterhorn.

Tara is behaving wonderfully, now I have got to grips with her. Exceptional control on transition and a lot less physical effort. I didn't tire at all all day, however I did notice sweat on my brow a few times and put this down to the mental effort rather than physical as I still need to remember I am on a shorter and thinner board which is akin to a Ferrari in comparison to my old Fiat. That seems a little unfair on Cindy (Supermodel), but it's not meant to. If I was going really big mountain in deep powder Tara would be left in the ski room whilst Cindy would be out having some fun. The Burton Supermodel is a cracking board off piste as the extra length gives you the chance to set the bindings to the rear and allows you toreally lean back. It makes you feel very safe.



Just you, me and the mountains.
(Hintertux 2008)















So back to the hotel for a swim, steam bath and a suana which is the only way to finsh a day on the slopes. But not before checking my distance on Skiline. 55km and over 7000m of vertical - result!!

That evening I had agreed to meet a girl from Basel I had met here back in May, however she didn't arrive and get sorted at her hotel untill late, so I had time to kill with a quik nap.

A nice dinner of lamb cutletts, before headng for the Hexen Bar (really nice place if a little pricey) and on to Grampis to watch Marco's rather unique style of entertainment. I swear this guy does it every night of the year!



Day 9 of 60. Weather not as good as Saturday but still good enough on the lower runs, which are really not very low at at all. Was due to meet at the lift at 9am but my friend bumped into someone she knew in her hotel and called to say she would be a little late. Not a problem get a few quick runs in alone. Decided to push it a little on my new board as I was now feeling confident with her now. Wow, it was great. Proper carving was not something I had been particulary well versed in until Zermatt in October when I just found myself doing it on the last couple of runs of the day, but with Tara it was like slicing warm butter with a razor. When doing it previously my old board was giving feedback and telling me when to transition, however on this setup it was almost automatic.

11am and time to meet and have a quick Gluhwein before heading to the top of the Kleine Matterhorn which was very windy and the conditions were detriorating. The galcer up there is very prone to wind and it can make for tricky riding as the top layer gets blown off quickly and exposes large sections of ice.

To be continued.....

41km today.

No comments: