Friday 8 January 2010

Oban & Glencoe - 4th - 9th January

Not a snowboarding trip unfortunately but a relaxing few days and some lovely pictures nonetheless. A New Year spent in Newcastle with my daughter and a night in Glasgow before a few relaxing days in Oban with my folks. Was planning on bringing a snowboard with me and spending a couple of days up at Glencoe, but decided against hauling all my kit all over the UK which was just as well as I would have missed my flight out if I had more than hand luggage.

So just been mooching around and taking some pictures. It' strange being on the west coast of Scotland and having the most settled weather in the UK. It's been cold but no fresh show at sea level. One day saw a long walk along the beach with the dogs.

The next day saw me heading out to assist my father and common-law brother in law in a shore dive at Loch Creran. A very cold morning (-3deg), but clear and settled.



Rather them than me!!
















The water was 10 degrees warmer than the air








All of this activity left me 3o minutes to take some pictures whilst they were under. Unfortunately my sisters bloke had his dry suit leak and he spent 30 minutes in the water freezing his preverbials off.



Stunning scenary












Colourful beach











Later that afternoon we headed up to Glencoe for some lunch and a drive through the pass. After a massive and extremely warming serving of Haggis, Neeps and Tatties at the climbers hangout "Clachaig Inn", we headed up to the pass leading to Rannoch Moor to get a good glimpse of the snow.



Clear skies and fantastic light














It was cold up there, about -7 degrees and not a huge amounts of snow compared to the other Scottish resorts especially the Cairngorms which is appartently having a record January. However it did make me yearn to out with my snowboard wrapped up and throwing myself down the mountainside. So much so that I have decided to head for the Jungfrau on the 15th and catch the Lauberhornrennen.



Rannoch Moor













I'll stick to the car thanks










So to today and a lovely walk along the headland and back along the beach with the two dogs. Stayed behind to catch the sunset on the way back. I really had forgotton how beautiful this bit of coastline is, the colours are wonderful and the sheer range of landscape is wonderfully refreshing after living in a rather flat part of Germany, miles from any coastline.



Amber having a great time














No matter how far you walk the, they must be covering four time the distance as they keep shooting off then running back.



Phenomenal colours
















Dunstaffnage















This was as far a we walked today, but it gave a great view of the mountain Ben Cruachan under which lies Taynult where my granparents lived when I was a kid.



Ben Cruachan










So turning around and walking back the sun started setting. Every night this week there has been beautiful sunsets, with many pastel colours and I was determined to get a few snaps before heading home. Problem being the sunset was 40 minutes off and I would have to wait in the cold, it was well worth it.



Contrasting landscape









Stunning sunset












The end of a lovely walk










All in all a very relaxing week with the family!

No comments: